Charcoal Discs (Pack of Ten)
NOTE: Because of postal safety regulations, we cannot send charcoal disks to countries outside of the United Kingdom.
Charcoal disks are used for burning raw incense.
How to use:
- Make sure you have a heatproof dish (or thiruble censer) to lay your charcoal in. Line the dish with sand or salt. This protects the dish from getting stained with resin and also acts as insulation to help the disk burn better.
- Remove one charcoal disk from the packet and hold it with tongs.
- With your other hand, hold a flame (we recommend using a lighter because you can do it one-handed) to the side of the disk for about ten seconds, or until you see it spark and crackle. This is the charcoal self-igniting and the heat should eventually spread to encompass the whole disk.
- Place the disk down onto the middle of the sand or salt in your dish, so the dip in the disk is facing up.
- Drop about half a teaspoon of incense into the dip and wait for it to heat and smoke (this shouldn't take long, just a few seconds).
- You can then leave it to burn away, or keep topping up with small amounts of incense every ten to fifteen minutes, or so.
The disk should burn for about 30 to 45 minutes, sometimes up to an hour. It will remain hot for quite a while after that, so make sure it's completely cooled down before touching your dish (which will grow hot, too). Dispose of your ash safely ensuring there's no risk of fire.
Never leave the burning disk unattended.
Once opened, please keep the packet in a dry, air-tight container, as any damp will affect how the charcoal disks burn.